Castles and Chateaus

South Moravia is a region full of history. Every kilometre offers some historical gem! Whether it is the Znojmo Region with the dominant Rotunda of St. Catherine or Telč, enlisted in the UNESCO World Heritage. Following is just a fraction of the beautiful historical sites that are worth seeing.

Vranov nad Dyjí State Chateau

The State Chateau dominates the village of Vranov nad Dyjí. It used to belong, the same as the Bítov Castle and the Znojmo Castle, to the system of defence castles along the border with Austria. The first mention of the original castle dates back to 1100, when the Chateau was owned by Princes of Znojmo. The dominance of the Chateau is the so-called Ancestral Hall and the Chapel. The castle is surrounded by beautiful countryside.

Bítov Castle

Bítov Castle is located about 2 km from the village of Bítov. The first written mention is from 1061-1067. The Castle lies on the promontory surrounded by the river Želetavka, near its confluence with the Dyje, in the canyon called “Moravian Switzerland”. The last owner (until 1945) was the industrial magnate, Baron George Haas of Haasenfels. Under his son George Jr., the Castle was changed into the largest private zoo on the Continent of that time.

Jaroměřice nad Rokytnou Chateau

Jaroměřice nad Rokytnou Baroque Chateau belongs to the most powerful architectures of the first half of the 18th century in Europe. The original medieval fortress converted into a Renaissance chateau was at the end of the 16th century. Under the Questenberks, the most important family who has ever owned the Jaromeřice estate, it was rebuilt in the Baroque style from 1700 to 1737. The rebuilding project was developed by well-known Austrian architect J. Prandtauer. Along with the buildings, the Chateau Garden of the French (and partly English) type was also built.

Moravský Krumlov Chateau

The medieval castle of Jindřich of Lipá was rebuilt in the middle of the 16th century in the spirit of Genoa's palace architecture. Renaissance arcade courtyard on three floors, designed by Leonardo Garda da Bisono. By 2012, known especially for the exhibition of the monumental cycle of A. Mucha’s Slav Epic. Today, there are exhibitions of mainly contemporary art and other cultural events. Memorial Hall of Doctor Theofrast Paracelsa.


Princely House Gallery in Moravský Krumlov

Built in the first half of the 13th century by the Order of German Knights. Under the Lords of Liechtenstein, the building was repaired and left to the monastery. Around the year 1660, a lower Latin school was located here. Currently museum and gallery. Exhibitions of fine art, archaeological and ethnographic collections.


Old Chateau in Jevišovice

Built by Sezemo of Kunštát from 1423 to 1426, as the replacement for the demolished "Old Castle" on the opposite bank of the Jevišovka. The Jevišovice branch of the Lords of Kunštát rebuilt the castle into a Renaissance chateau. In the first half of the 17th century, the castle was rebuilt into a Baroque form by Ludwig Raduit de Souches. As a part of the exposition, you can see the folk depository, the presentation of the castle kitchen or the archaeological collection of František Vildomec.


Cornštejn Castle

The ruin is another one in the fortification system protecting the border of Moravia. Built in the first half of the 14th century, it was held by the Lords of Lichtenburg, later in 1464 conquered by the army of George of Poděbrady. With the development of firearms, the fortification of Cornštejn was also improved. At the end of the 16th century, however, the uninhabited castle began to deteriorate. In 1612 it was cited to be desolate.


Frejštejn Castle

From the ruins, the remains of the masonry have been preserved up to this day. Its disadvantage is certain remoteness from the touristically most attractive places of Vranov Dam. The first mention of the Castle dates back to 1250. Sometime between 1283 and 1286, being the seat of highwaymen, the castle was captured by the Austrians. Since the 15th century it has been deserted.


Nový Hrádek Castle

The ruins of the Nový Hrádek Gothic Castle lie on a rocky promontory, just outside the state border. The area of the ruins is formed by two castles, an older building with a double oval ring of the main walls and a so-called front castle, which originated gradually from the 15th century from the forward fortification. In the Thirty Years’ War, it was conquered and defeated by the Swedes. The older part since then ruins, the castle was later modified as a hunting lodge. From Hrádek there is a wonderful view of the meandering Dyje.